[Stuttgart, Printer of the Erwählung Maximilians] c. 1486.
Folio (286 x 210 mm.). [ii blank], [ii], p. Rounded gothic type, double-column, initial spaces blank.
CONTEMPORARY BLIND-TOOLED PIGSKIN-BACKED WOODEN BOARDS (some worming), contemporary manuscript titles on the front board, on a vellum strip at the top center of the rear board, on the spine and on the bottom edge, brass catch (evidence of a clasp).
First Issue, with the uncorrected colophon. From these seventy tracts and letters much of the old Latin Bible can be reconstructed. Their legalistic conception of the church permanently influenced Western Catholicism. During the Reformation, all sides turned to Cyprian.
THIS IS THE ONLY SUBSTANTIAL BOOK PRODUCED AT STUTTGART IN THE 15TH CENTURY, and one of three overall. The anonymous printer may have purchased his typographic materials from Conrad Fyner, who was active at Urach and Esslingen from 1473 to 1485.
An outlier, this is the only printing prepared by a still unidentified editor. The other incunable editions follow the text established by Giovanni Andrea Bussi (1417-1475) for Sweynheym and Pannartz.
PETER VON NEUMAGEN SIGNED THE TITLE, AND THE ANNOTATIONS ARE LIKELY HIS. He (c. 1450-1515) was copyist, cleric and, by 1482 archiepiscopal secretary at Trier. From 1488 to 1515 he served as the Chaplain at St. Leonhard’s in Zürich and choirmaster and chapter notary at the Zürich Cathedral. His library contained canon law, theology and natural history.
In good condition (some pale stains, a few minor worm punctures, first leaf worn with an inner marginal defect just touching text), a few leaves uncut, from the library of Albert Ehrman (1890-1969; Broxbourne Library (1977) 599 with the front pastedown now removed).
¶Stammler & Langosch, Deutsche Literatur des Mittelalters: Verfasserlexikon2 7: 440-2 (Peter von Neumagen); ISTC ic01014000; Goff C-1014.